Optional Practical Training (OPT) at the UCSB Extension
Optional Practical Training (OPT) is a work authorization available to international students who seek employment in the U.S. in their field of study. OPT allows students to work for up to 12 months in an off-campus setting to gain practical experience upon successful completion of a UCSB Extension certificate program. OPT is training that is directly related to a student’s major field of study and is recommended by the UCSB Extension Immigration Advisor. However, final approval is granted by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
To be eligible for Optional Practical Training, you must:
- Be in valid F-1 status for three consecutive quarters (nine months) of full-time study.
- Be in the U.S. at the time of your OPT application.
- Enroll in and successfully complete one of these qualifying UCSB Extension Professional Certificate programs:
Embassy English “English in Action in the USA” Internship Program ..coming soon
Take action to increase your English language skills with Embassy’s English in Action certificate program. The program gives you the rare
opportunity to directly use your newly acquired English language skills in a professional environment.
Once you have completed at least 4 weeks of coursework and reached the required English level, you are eligible to participate in English in Action. Embassy’s center staff will support you before during and after English in Action placement to make sure you get the most out of your experience.
3 highlights of Embassy in Action:
- Put your new skills to use in professional environments
- Interact with native English speakers in real life activities
- Learn more about American culture and work practices
English in Action is not an employment placement or preparation program and is designed solely to help you prepare for an English language environment. While we work to place you in a desirable location, we cannot guarantee a specific industry, company, position, or location. Email is for further details and pricing.